Welcome, Employers!

Here you will find resources for administering the VRS Optional Retirement Plan for Higher Education (ORPHE).

Qualified employees of Virginia’s public colleges and universities have the option to participate in the VRS ORPHE, rather than VRS Plan 1, VRS Plan 2 or the VRS Hybrid Retirement Plan. For those employees who choose the ORPHE plan, they will also choose an investment provider.

Employees have 60 days from their hire date to elect ORPHE; otherwise, they will become members of the other applicable VRS plan.

Open Enrollment

Each October, employees who participate in ORPHE have an opportunity to change their investment provider.

In mid- to late September each year, VRS asks employers to notify ORPHE participants of the open enrollment period. Participants interested in changing providers can compare their options and make a selection in myVRS.

Important Deadlines

Employers must receive employees’ provider change form, enrollment and beneficiary forms by close of business on the last business day in October. The original provider change form must be sent to VRS. This is a change from prior years. The change in provider becomes effective on the first pay date in January of the following year.

Provider Contacts for Employers

DCP | Virginia Retirement System
(Record-Kept by ICMA-RC)
Fidelity Investments TIAA
Employer Support Contact Employer Support Team Client Services Team
1-VRS-DC-PLAN1(1-877-327-5261), select option 3

1-800-669-7471 TDD
1-888-502-7526, enter 89755 for plan #, select option 1 1-888-842-7782
Mon-Fri, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.

777 N. Capitol Street NE
Suite 600
Washington, DC 20002
Mon-Fri, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.

100 Crosby Parkway
Covington, KY 41015
Mon-Fri, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

8500 Andrew Carnegie Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28262

ORPHE Updates

2017 VRS Health Insurance Credit and Group Life Benefit Eligibility Change
2017 ORPHE Annual Employer Update
June 2017 Fidelity Participant DOL Fiduciary Rule Letter

  • Handbook for Participants in ORPHE Plan 1 and ORPHE Plan 2 Learn more about your plan, benefits and investments in the Optional Retirement Plan for Higher Education.

  • Choose the Plan and Provider That’s Right for You As a new college or university president, chancellor or faculty member engaged in teaching, administration or research, you have a choice in retirement planning.

  • State Health Benefits Program Enrollment Form for Retirees, Survivors and LTD Participants (T-20879)

  • Designation of Beneficiary (VRS-2)

  • Designation of Beneficiary - Continuation (VRS-2A)

  • Request for Transfer of Funds to ORP (VRS-3ORP)

  • Conversion of Group Life Insurance Enrollment (VRS-35E)

  • Request for Health Insurance Credit (VRS-45)

  • Notice of Return to Covered Employment Optional Retirement Plan Retiree (VRS-7ORP)

  • Termination Certification Form – Optional Retirement Plan for Higher Education (VRS-65D)

  • Open Enrollment Provider Change (VRS-65P)

  • Optional/Alternative Retirement Plan Health Insurance Credit Employer Certification of Service (VRS-75)

  • VRS Durable Power of Attorney (VRS-901)